Travellers Rest Hotel
Location: Kisoro, 14km from Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
Travellers Rest Hotel is a colonial-style hotel located just outside Kisoro, in the extreme southwestern corner of Uganda, offering a perfect base for trips into Mgahinga Gorilla National Park. When you enter, the ibis welcomes you with its typical sound. The beautiful surrounding garden is the home of many birds. Sitting on the terrace you can smell the sweet perfume of the honeysuckle, and in the cool evenings you can warm yourself by the fireplace, outdoors or in the lounge, surrounded by unusual African artifacts and a huge collection of Congolese masks.
The surrounding landscape, dominated by the peaks of the Virunga Volcanoes, is of astonishing beauty. The volcanoes offer spectacular views of the Rift Valley and the emerald-green Lake Mutanda in the distance.
In the sixties the famous American ‘gorilla-woman’ Dian Fossey visited Travellers Rest many, many times to do paperwork, relax or meet people. Fossey said of the hotel: “It was my second home.”
- Travel desk
- Bikes to rent
- Lounge area with fireplace, bar and large meeting table
- Internet access
- Laundry service
- Gift Shop
- Enclosed garden
- Huge selection of Congolese masks
Spotless private rooms lead out onto the pleasant garden. All have private bathrooms with hot water.
Available rooms include single, twin, double, triple and a suite.
Activities At The Lodge
- Visits to a local deaf primary school – guests are welcome to make donations
- There are also performances at the lodge by a local orphan group
- Walk or cycle to Lake Mutanda
- Visit the market in Kisoro on Mondays and Thursdays
- Climb one of the volcanoes
- Track mountain gorillas or golden monkeys
- The Batwa Forest Trail thorugh the National Park
Travellers Rest organizes tours to a local deaf school, and guests are encouraged to contribute to the children’s fees, materials etc. A local orphan group performs at the lodge in the evenings.
Most of food is bought from Kisoro market, which is supplied by the local Bafumbira and Bakiga communities. The hotel staff are mostly from Kisoro. Staff training and career development of the staff members is of great importance to the Hotel management.
- $65 single, $75 twin/double, $85 suite
Half board (breakfast and dinner);
- $77 single, $109 twin/double, $119 suite
- $92 single, $119 twin/double, $129 suite