Amajambere Iwacu Community Camp
Location: Located near the gates of Mgahinga National Park
Amajambere Iwacu Community Camp is located by the entrance to Mgahinga National Park and is only 12 km from the southwestern town of Kisoro near the Rwandan border.
At the camp, visitors can enjoy the magnificent views of the famous Virunga Volcanoes and take part in monkey trekking. The camp is located at a perfect starting point for golden monkey trekking through the national park.
- Camping facilities and 4 bandas
- Spacious gathering shelter with indoor and outdoor dining
- Well-stocked canteen serving beers, sodas, snacks and basic essentials.
- Restaurant serving typical Ugandan meals
Activities At the Camp
- Guided walks through the village and to a nearby crater lake, lava tubes and caves
- Cultural dance performances from the local women’s group and the Batwa people
- Guided climbs of the Virunga volcanoes
- Visits to nearby schools, agricultural projects, local communities and more!
- The association has provided funds to two local schools; one used the funds to roof its main building; and the other used it for the construction of the main buildings themselves.
- The community camp came together to establish a stretcher club, so that, when needed, funds are available to get someone to hospital.
- The community camp provides English lessons, and environmental and tourism awareness programmes to about 30 children.
- We sensitize members of our community about nature conservation through various initiatives.
- The staff of the camp are locally sourced from surrounding communities to create employment opportunities.
- The camp acquires all of its fruits, vegetables and food from surrounding communities.
Tel: +256(0)772-435148/ +256(0)772519494
- Camping in own tent: US $5 per person, per night
- Dormitory: US $8 per person, per night
- Banda (1 double bed or 2 single beds, not self-contained): US $20 per night
- Banda (2 single beds, self-contained): US $30 per night
Note: all prices above exclude meals
- Batwa village walk: US $20 per person
- Cave exploration: US $10 per person
- Local hike: US $10 per person